Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dora and Boots

 One of my big goals as the mother of an Asian child is for her to grow up knowing that she's Asian.  We talk about similarities and differences in people ALL the time.  We talk about hair color, skin color, eye color, etc.  We talk about how people look the same and how they look different.  I want her to know that she's Asian and be proud of her Asian heritage.  

So I was really excited when Molly said to me, "Mommy!  I look just like Dora!"  Now, I know Dora is Hispanic and not Asian, but it still made me happy that Molly noticed her dark hair and dark skin and noticed that it was the same as her dark hair and dark skin.  And it made her happy!  I was feeling really good about her self-imagine.............


Until she followed it up with, "And Rayna looks just like Boots!!"