Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dr. King!



Tomorrow I will have the day off of work as our country honors Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I am so thankful that Dr. King followed God's lead on his life and as a result, in my classroom, "little black boys and black girls join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers."

In math this week, we've been talking about similarities and differences. I made a Venn Diagram with the class and used two students: a Caucasian girl and an African American boy. We talked about how the students were the same and how they were different. Do you know that my children NEVER mentioned the color of their skin. Their height was mentioned, their hair length and color, the fact that one wore glasses and one didn't, one was a boy and one was a girl, even their clothing, but not one child noticed that they had different skin colors.

Praise God for the accepting hearts of children. Praise God for Dr. King!