Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Why Adopt?

Although our friends and family have been VERY supportive of our decision to adopt, quite a few times we've gotten the question "why adopt?" We are not infertile and while we had a son with special needs, our chances of having a normal, healthy child are just as good as anyone's, so why adopt?

Well, God put adoption on our hearts long before we were ready for children. (For me, I think it was as a child the first time I realized there were actually children in the world without homes.) Since Brian and I met and began dating, we had always factored our adoption children into our life equation. After Zeke passed away, we both had the desire for more children. The more we prayed, the clearer it became that now was the time God had prepared for us to adopt a child. I will always remember the night a couple of months ago when Brian said "I can't imagine a more perfect way to mirror God's love than through adoption." I think those words will be engrained in my heart forever. The Bible says that God "predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will." (Ephesians 1:5) And I just love that image. God doesn't just say we can be his friends, He calls us His SONS (and daughters)--He is saying that since the beginning of time He has chosen us to be a part of his family through Jesus Christ. And the second part of that verse--with his PLEASURE and will. He finds pleasure in adopting us--in making us His own. So I have to be in agreement with my wonderful husband--what a pleasure and an honor to show a child just small glimpse of the love God has for us. The Bible also says that "pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress..." (James 1:27) Adoption is just so obviously a beautiful plan that God has for the world and we are honored that God has called us to be adoptive (and adopted!) parents.