Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Molly Singing



Molly learned this song at the library and LOVES it. She sings it all the time and adds in everyone's names. I'm sure my teacher buddies have heard it before. What she's singing is:

Good morning, good morning, good morning to you.
Good morning, good morning, good morning to __________.

News Articles

In other news, have you heard that hospitals are banning child visitors from the hospitals? I have to admit, I have been a little stressed over this news. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Molly to get the flu or spread it to others, but this didn't come at a very convenient time for our family. I'm sad that Molly won't get to see Rayna in the hospital and that she'll have to be away from me for several days. We've had friends offer to help out with Molly so that Mom can go to the hospital some. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear--we have a few more weeks to work out the details. Here's the full story.

TOTALLY unrelated, but I happened to pick up a copy of Newsweek at the doctor's office on Friday and read this article. It completely changed my opinion on how I talk about race with my students and how I will talk about race with my own children. I think I had been under the impression that I was dealing with "colorblind" children, when in fact, research shows that children as young as 6 months old notice race. Open dialogue about race is SO important. Anyway, it's a long article, but VERY worth the read.